Retail Price:

Customize & Purchase

Brno Chair - Flat Bar

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe 1930

Designed by Mies van der Rohe in 1930 for his renowned Tugendhat House in Brno, Czech Republic, the Brno Chair reflects the groundbreaking simplicity of its original environment. The chair, an icon of 20th-century design, is celebrated for its lean profile, clean lines and meticulous attention to detail.

 

In 2018 Knoll introduced an antique bronze plated finish to celebrate the compnay's 80th anniversary.

Retail Price:

Estimated Ship:
Quickship  2-3 weeks
SHARE THIS CONFIGURATION
Close
Added item to your shopping cart!

    Details

    Construction and Details
    • Frame is steel with polished chrome or antique bronze plating
    • No visible connections between seat and frame
    • Seat has an inner hardwood frame cushioned with variable density foam. Dymetrol seat suspension enhances comfort level
    • GREENGUARD Indoor Air Quality Certified® for low-emitting products
    Additional Options Available by Phone (See Below)
    • View Approved KnollTextiles
    • Available in a wide range of Spinneybeck® leathers
    • Frame available in hand-polished stainless steel 304 bar stock
    • Available with arm pads

    Dimensions

    Order by Phone

    Interested in finishes, sizes or combinations not available above?
    Call or visit our Home Design Shops to work with an expert and place your customized order.

     

    NY Home Design Shop
    M-F 11-7, Sat 11-6 EST
    212 343-4190

    nyknollshop@knoll.com
    Learn More

    LA Home Design Shop
    M-Sat: 10-6pm PST
    310 620-2680
    laknollshop@knoll.com
    Learn More

    Knoll Shop Customer Service
    M-F 8-5 EST
    800 343-5665
    shopservice@knoll.com
     

    Join our Newsletter

    Sign up for our Knoll Shop newsletter for inspiration and updates regarding new products, expanded finishes and upcoming sales and promotions.
     

    The Tugendhat House, often considered to be Mies van der Rohe’s defining residential work, is the summation of his ideas incorporated at every level of the design. Architectural historian Peter Blake explains in his book Master Builders: “As in every one of his designs, from skyscrapers to dining chairs, Mies reduces each object to its essential elements, and then refined each detail to a point of almost breathtaking beauty and eloquence. There was nothing in this house that did not reflect this process of distillation to the point of utter perfection — not a window mullion, not a heating pipe, not a lighting fixture, not an ashtray.”

    While there were 24 Tubular Brno Chairs in the Tugendhat House, there was only one Flat Bar Brno chair in master bedroom and, unlike the tubular version, the design was not subsequently put into production. In 1958 Phillip Johnson requested that Knoll produce the flat bar Brno Chair for use in his design of the Four Seasons restaurant. After making a few slight adjustments, including added cushioning — all with the approval of Mies — Knoll reintroduced the chair in 1958 and continues to produce each chair to Mies’ exacting standards, thanks to a collaboration with the Mies van der Rohe Archives at The Museum of Modern Art, New York.
     

    Regarded as one of the most important figures in the history of architecture, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe’s ‘less-is-more’ approach to design was the gold standard for many generations of modern architecture. His legendary career started humbly at his father’s stonemasonry business, giving him an early appreciation of material and structure. From there he apprenticed with furniture designer Bruno Paul in Berlin before joining the office of Peter Behrens, an architect and painter at the forefront of the modern movement.

    In 1912, Mies established his own office in Berlin. Through furniture, residential projects and extraordinary, yet unrealized concepts for skyscrapers, he gained recognition as a leader of the German modern movement. As such, he was selected to design the German Pavilion at the 1929 International Exposition in Barcelona.

    Mies served as Vice President of the Deutsher Werkbund and Director of the Bauhaus from 1930 until it closed in 1933. He immigrated to the United States in 1938 to become the director of architecture at the Armour Institute (later the Illinois Institute of Technology). From his Chicago-based practice, Mies designed a portfolio of buildings that changed the face of American institutional architecture ― the most notable examples being the IIT campus and the Seagram Building in New York.